In this post, I’ll show how you can both delete and restore SharePoint Online sites.
Note: You must be a SharePoint administrator or a SharePoint site owner to be able to delete a site, and only SharePoint administrators can restore them.
How to delete a SharePoint site
If you’re a site owner, follow these steps to delete your site:
- Click the settings wheel in the upper right corner
- Select Site information
- Select Delete site
- Check the confirmation box and then click Delete
If you’re a SharePoint administrator, you can follow these steps to delete a site:
- Go to the SharePoint admin center (app launcher > Admin > SharePoint)
- Select Sites > Active sites from the left navigation menu
- Search or browse and select the site to delete
- Select Delete from the top ribbon menu
- Select Delete again in the dialog prompt
A video demonstration of both of these methods is below:
How to restore a SharePoint site
Deleted sites can only be restored within the first 93 days since its deletion. Otherwise, after 93 days, the site is permanently deleted.
Here are the steps a SharePoint admin can follow to restore a previously deleted site:
- Go to the SharePoint admin center
- Select Sites > Deleted sites from the left-hand navigation menu
- Select the specific site to restore
- Select Restore from the top ribbon menu
A video demonstration of these steps can be found below: